Henry Grady Monument
Artist: Alexander Doyle
(b. 1858, New York- d. New York, 1922)
This memorial bronze sculpture to Atlanta’s famous “New South” newspaper editor was originally dedicated on October 21, 1891 to 25,000 on-lookers. Henry Grady, editor of The Atlanta Constitution, was known as a champion of southern industry and agriculture in the post-Civil War period. Born in Athens, Georgia on May 24, 1850, Grady graduated from the State University in 1868, and died an untimely death on December 23, 1889 in Atlanta. The funds to erect the monument were generated through “public subscriptions” that were received from throughout the United States, an unprecedented tribute considering that Grady had held no office and died as an “unpretentious private citizen.”
The artist Alexander Doyle, a well-regarded sculptor from New York, has depicted Grady in an orator’s stance with two virtues seated beneath him facing north and south. The inscription on the north side on the monument is a quotation taken from an address delivered in Boston a few days before his death, where he contacted a cold that developed into deadly pneumonia.
This hour little needs the loyalty that is loyal to one
section and yet holds the other in enduring suspicion
and estrangement. Give us the broad and perfect
loyalty that loves and trusts Georgia alike
with Massachusetts—that knows no South,
no North, no East, no West, but endears with equal
and patriotic pride every foot of our soil, every state
of our Union.
The monument was originally positioned in front of City Hall (now demolished) on Marietta Street, and was the site of political rallies and activities. The area was named Henry Grady Plaza on November 20, 1929. For the Olympics, CODA restored the sculpture, and moved it slightly to create a more pedestrian friendly viewing plaza on Marietta Street.
With a grant from an anonymous donor and support from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, APAL undertook a major restoration of the Henry Grady Monument in 2004. This included a major cleaning and blasting with walnut shells to remove any remaining dirt, rewaxing and repatination, and treatment with a corrosion inhibitor. APAL continues to maintain and conserve the sculpture an on-going basis.
1891, rededicated in1996 for the Centennial Olympics
MATERIALS: Bronze, marble
Sculpture – Male Figure 3’-6”wide x 8’-7” h
Female Figures 3’-3” wide x 7’-2” high
Base – 15’-9” w x 15’-6” d x 4’-7” h
Overall height - 22’-7”
|Peter Drey & Company
||Design Team Coordinator
|Phoenix Crane Rental Company
|Van Winkle & Company, Inc.
LOCATION: Marietta and Forsyth Streets
Corporation for Olympic Development in Atlanta (CODA)
Click here for information about the restoration of the Henry Grady Monument